Re: An observation about rdf:Seq

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:36:33 +0100
To: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
cc: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

>>>Graham Klyne said:
>
> In constructing code to process containers, I am finding it difficult to
> reliably process members of an rdf:Seq in the sequence order.
>
> By comparison, ordered processing of the rdf:parseType="Collection" form is
> easy.
>
> Which makes me wonder if there's a case for deprecating rdf:Seq.   (I see
> no problem with rdf:Bag or rdf:Alt in this respect, because there's no
> complete ordering to worry about.)

No.  I do not see the point of re-opening that closed issue at this
stage.  We decided a long time ago not to design a *replacement*
container mechanism for Seq, Bag and Alt.  I would say that rdf:Seq
is the most used of the constructs of RDF/XML outside the basic node
and property element and attribute parts.

I see rdf:parseType="Collection" as a complex mechanism more
appropriate for layering, working in a logic or inference style.

Dave