Re: RDF Datatyping PART 1 [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002 -08-30]

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 10:02:06 +0300
To: "ext Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org, bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com

_____________Original message ____________
Subject:	Re: RDF Datatyping PART 1 [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002  -08-30]
Sender:	ext Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date:		Sun,  8 Sep 2002 09:48:31 +0300

[...]

> > so I guess we have
> >
> > ========================= ========================= =====
> > rdfs:Datatype rdf:type rdfs:Class .
>
> Yes.
> And also, the following was omitted but true:
>
> rdfs:Datatype rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Class .
>
> > rdfs:Datatype rdfs:subClassOf rdf:Property .
>
> No. Where are you getting that from part 1?
> There is no datatype property idiom any longer.

well I now agree, but I got it from prehistory and
from http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sw/rdf-datatyping.html
5. RDF Schema for Datatyping
[[[
   <rdfs:Class rdf:about="&rdfs;Datatype">
      <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">RDF Datatype</rdfs:label>
      <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">
         An RDF Datatype consists of a value space, a lexical space,
         and an N:1 mapping from the lexical space to the value space.
      </rdfs:comment>
      <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&rdf;Property"/>
   </rdfs:Class>
]]]

	Aargh. Sorry. Missed that last legacy assertion in the
	RDF/XML. It should be:

       <rdfs:Class rdf:about="&rdfs;Datatype">
          <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">RDF Datatype</rdfs:label>
          <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">
             An RDF Datatype consists of a value space, a lexical space,
             and an N:1 mapping from the lexical space to the value space.
          </rdfs:comment>
          <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&rdfs;Class"/>    *******
        </rdfs:Class>

	My bad. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

but it is understood now as being the case that
  rdfs:Datatype rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Class .

	Yes.

have a nice weekend

	You too,

	Patrick

-- ,

PS I got running code with
   support for typed literals a la <uri>"string"-la
                                   qname"string"-la
                                   _:lab"string"-la
   and I will further focus on some testcases

	Woohoo. I really hope that this approach to datatyping
	inline literals will be adopted. It seems to me to be a
	very elegant way to model implicit datatypes.

	The fact that Pat and I apparently came up with the idea
	independently I think adds further merit for serious
	consideration by the WG.

	Your working code is great to see and adds alot of
	credibility to the approach.

	Cheers,

	Patrick