Re: Notes on updates to RDF Schema

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:23:53 +0000
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 11:24 30/10/2002 -0600, pat hayes wrote:

>>o rdfs:XMLLiteral is a subClass of rdf:Literal
>There is a possible snag here.

I thought there might be.

>I think we are (as a group) still somewhat unclear about the meaning of
>rdf:Literal. In the MT I was very explicit that that class contained
>literal *values*, not literals.

Yup.  Oh bu**er I see what you mean.  Or do I?  There is a value space for
rdfs:XMLLiteral, say XMLVAL..  There is the set of things that literals
(not the XML variety) denote, say LITVAL.  The  class extension of Literal
is XMLVAL union LITVAL.  Does that work?

>  I was expecting a backlash, but nobody noticed :-). Now that datatyped
> literals can denote non-strings, the difference between those two
> interpretations of rdf:Literal is again rather important, so can I ask
> the group to decide clearly and firmly which interpretation they want to
> have? Note that if rdf:Literal is supposed to be the class of literals,
> then all triples of the form
>aaa rdf:type rdf:Literal .
>will be false in all interpretations.

I don't follow that one.  We have been careful not to say whether literals
are resources or not, but we all know they are really.