RE: Datatyping literals: question and test cases

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:12:22 -0600
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>  >Did you not understand the request? or
>>did you disagree with it? Or is it
>>a matter of not having time to write
>>it that way?
>
>My negative response to the request was here:
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0388.html
>
>it echoes what I think you said, and gives a rationale for rejecting your
>suggestion. Looks like we need to spend more time on that one.

I don't find the reasons give all very convincing. In particular,
arguments from formal elegance should only be used as tie-breakers.
But the last one, about XML accidents, is a reasonable one.

I would suggest that we let the model theory merge the cases back
together, by ignoring the lang tag for non-XML literals. It has no
meaning outside XML in any case: the *strings* "chat"eng and "chat"fr
are the same string. If we want to distinguish them, then we should
call them 'words' and have a domain of words in the model theory for
them to denote.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam