Re: Semantics was RE: weekly call for agenda items

At 10:28 25/10/2002 +0200, Jos De_Roo wrote:

>I guess it's the one from
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-webont-wg/2002Sep/0308.html
>
>1:[[
>
>eg:prop rdfs:range eg:A .
>eg:A rdfs:subClassOf eg:B .
>
>entails
>
>eg:prop rdfs:range eg:B .
>]]

Which looks clearly false to me, so I'd better ask to find out what I'm
missing.

Consider:

   IEXT(A) = {a}
   IEXT(B) = {a, b}

Then if I say that prop can take any member of A as its value, it can also
take any member of B, because B happens to be a superclass of B.

Wierd!

Isn't it to stop that sort of thing happening that we switched domain and
range to conjunctive semantics, i.e. so that an inferencing engine finding
a range constraint would know that all values must be a member of that
class; there is no way to add members to the range?