Re: Typed literals: current status

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 18 October, 2002 23:02
Subject: Typed literals: current status

> ... some datatype d ...
>
> ... set D of datatypes ...
>
> ... a datatype ...
>
> ... the datatype URI ...

Are we making it clear somewhere that 'datatype' (unless
otherwise specified) refers to an instance of rdfs:Datatype?

> ...But
> if we had two new types rdf:ClassicLiteral, rdf:ClassicXMLLiteral then we
> could move all the complexity of XML Literals into a datatype definition.

This would prevent any future treatment of XML Literals as typed
literals.

After all, both complex and simple types are addressed by XML Schema,
and it seems intuitive and reasonable to me to simply treat XML Literals
as lexical forms of infosets (as outlined in Part 2 of the restructured
specification, http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sw/rdf-datatyping.html).

Having

   XML"<h1>foo</h1>"<&rdf;ClassicXMLLiteral>

prevents us from (now or later) saying

   XML"<h1>foo</h1>"<&xhtml;h1>

which seems very consistent with typed literals as defined for
simple datatypes at present, and gives us a consistent treatment
for literals, where the alternation between non-XML and XML is
disjunct from the alternation between non-typed and typed. I.e.

                    Non-XML     |               XML
Non-Typed  |      "10"-en       |      XML"<h1>foo</h1>"-en
Typed      | "10"<&xsd;int>-en  |  XML"<h1>foo</h1>"<&xhtml;h1>-en

Eh?