Re: rdf:datatype v xsi:type

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:24:09 -0400
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> I don't think there are any killers here.
> In particularly I disagree with Patrick when he raises non-XSD types -
> simply out of scope as far as I am concerned.

I guess I don't understand this "out of scope" comment.  You may not
care about referring to non-XSD types (I do), but considering them was
certainly "in scope" as far as making the "rdf:datatype" decision was
concerned.  If you'd like to revisit the "what datatypes we're prepared
to reference" question, I suppose we can do that [Brian screams "NO" and
pounds his head against the wall], but it ought not to be considered
just a matter of syntax.  Considering that all we're doing is indicating
the name of the type the literal is supposed to be associated with, what
difference does it really make?