Re: So now we have tidy literals...

Confused or no, I think we're approximately in accord.  I have a slight
concern about "infoset" popping up in the abstract syntax, but if you mean
something for which an infoset could be constructed I guess that's about
the same.

The words I was proposing were:
[[
An untyped literal is either a string literal or an XML literal, either of
which consists of a sequence of Unicode characters and a language
code.  See section 3.2 for details.
]]
(noting that typed literals are dealt with in a separate, nearby section).

This isn't meant to be a complete definition -- hence ref section 3.2.

Personally, I'd say the xsd:string and untyped cases are different (i.e. no
corresponding entailment).  One reason is that (I understand) an xsd:string
value doesn't have a language.

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>