Re: details of rdf:datatype?

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>; <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 14 October, 2002 15:52
Subject: RE: details of rdf:datatype?

> This (Dan's examples) is what I wanted, and I thought I lost a crucial
> (straw poll) vote.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0178.html
> item 11 -
> ACTION: 2002-09-13#8 jjc update the abstract data model in concepts doc to
> reflect the pair denoting a datatype literal
>
> We decided that in the abstract syntax the datatyped values would be
> represented as pairs (uri and lexical value). I am not sure when the
> lexical=>value mapping takes place (it might be in Pat's court, but I got
> the impression he had lobbed it out of play).

It takes place at the application layer, which understands the
particular datatypes in question. It definitely happens outside
the scope of the RDF MT.

What the RDF MT does is set the ground rules for how such mappings
are executed and also provides an equality test for pairings having
identical datatype and lexical form. Otherwise, it's up to the
extra-RDF application operating based on the defined semantics
of the datatype (wherever/however defined) to execute the lexical
to value mappings and make any comparisons between values.

> It is clear that some aspects of the decision require systems to *know* the
> datatypes in question, and if they don't they cannot compare non-lexically
> identically values.

Correct. The RDF MT only provides a clear case of equality when
the datatype and lexical forms are the same.

> I believe we have clarified that the point at which that knowledge is needed
> is not syntactic. Whether it is in the model theory or somehow after I still
> don't know.

I agree it is definitely not syntactic. I consider it semantic, and
outside/above the scope of the RDF MT, but constrained in critical
ways by the RDF MT.

And because it is outside/above the scope of the RDF MT, all the
abstract syntax should reflect are the pairings, not the values
or anything else relating to the lexical to value mapping.

Patrick