RE: details of rdf:datatype?

This (Dan's examples) is what I wanted, and I thought I lost a crucial
(straw poll) vote.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0178.html
item 11 -
ACTION: 2002-09-13#8 jjc update the abstract data model in concepts doc to
reflect the pair denoting a datatype literal

We decided that in the abstract syntax the datatyped values would be
represented as pairs (uri and lexical value). I am not sure when the
lexical=>value mapping takes place (it might be in Pat's court, but I got
the impression he had lobbed it out of play).

It is clear that some aspects of the decision require systems to *know* the
datatypes in question, and if they don't they cannot compare non-lexically
identically values.
I believe we have clarified that the point at which that knowledge is needed
is not syntactic. Whether it is in the model theory or somehow after I still
don't know.

Jeremy

(I will do the abstract syntax update today or tomorrow - Graham can I have
a lock on the file?)