Re: More on XSD in RDF

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:54:03 +0000 (GMT)
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
cc: ext Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, ext Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>
> > I think you are missing the critical point here. And that is that
> > the XML Schema specs say that *NEITHER* of the above are true.
>
> DanC claimed that they did, at the last telecon - remember "WHERE are
> the WORDS?!" :-)
>
> I agree with you that it's not a problem of RDF's making; but if there
> _is_ disagreement over the answer then we need to feedback to XML
> Schema.

Looking wid' my own lil' eyes, and probably repeating what jjc has
already pointed out:

XML Schema/datatypes document is absolutely clear on this -
Section 3.2.3 (definition of decimal value space) and 3.2.4 (definition
of float value space) are pretty straightforward: where a member of the
value space is a number (most are), the values from decimal and float
coincide. Float also contains the usual IEEE guff: NaN, +-0, +-inf.

So neither type is a subClassOf the other; but many of their values
coincide.

float may or may not be a subClassOf double; that depends on whether
Nan^^float = NaN^^double, etc, which doesn't appear to be expressed in
the XML schema document (possibly in the IEEE doc?)

You know something's gone badly wrong when your algorithm
takes O(n^2) time but uses O(2^n) space.