Re: Hang on a second... Re: Datatype test cases: important ones (please have a look)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:21:19 -0600
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
>patrick.stickler@nokia.com]
>

>>  ><eg:foo> <eg:bar> "baz"@en^^<datatype> .
>>  ><eg:pop> <eg:bar> "baz"@fr^^<datatype> .
>>  >
>>  >simple-entails
>>  >
>>  ><eg:foo> <eg:bar> _:l .
>>  ><eg:pop> <eg:bar> _:l .
>>
>>  No, it shouldn't.  In simple entailment, the only things known to
>>  co-denote are identical literals, and that 'identical' includes all
>>  the stuff stuck on it.
>>
>>  We can change this, but that's the way it is right now.
>
>It should be changed/fixed. The above entailment should hold. Any
>application should be able to conclude that any two typed literals
>which have identical lexical form and datatype URI denote the
>same value, irrespective of any lang tag, and that conclusion should
>be possible without any special datatype knowledge. I.e., it's
>just an RDF entailment, not an RDF + datatypes entailment.

But its not valid for rdf:XMLLiteral, as I understand it. And since
this is now in RDF, some datatyping is included in RDF entailment.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam