Re: Datatype test cases: important ones (please have a look)

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Brian McBride wrote:

> I haven't been clear again, sorry.  The issue I was trying to raise is not
> whether the entailment holds, but how we should represent the test
> case.  If the test case is of the form
>
>    <a> <b> "10"^^xsd:integer .
>
> datatype entails (xsd)
>
>    <a> <b> "010"^^xsd:integer .
>
> and bearing in mind the we expect these to be machine checkable, do this
> suggest that a datatype aware RDF processor must generate the infinity of
> different representations of the number 10.  I might be wrong here - Jos
> seems to have done it without this problem.  If we couch the test in the form:
>
>    <a> <b> "10"^^xsd:integer .
>    <c> <d> "010"^^xsd:integer .
>
> datatype entails (xsd)
>
>    <a> <b> _:v.
>    <c> <d> _:v.
>
> then there is no suggestion that the process has to generate the infinity
> of values, only that it needs to be able tell when two lexical forms it is
> given denote the same value.

I appreciate your concern. In fact, there are two entailment tests for
this case (going both ways). I think the more explicit statement of this
test is a better one, but (since we _do_ say that test cases should be
viewed in conjunction with their descriptive text in the manifest) I'll
add your test case too and put some more words in on this subject.

This test case is about entailment, though, which isn't the same as
generating alternative representations.

Unfortunately, I have a very good idea how fast my keys are moving.