Re: do bad datatype literals denote [was Re: Datatype test cases ...]

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:06:43 +0000
To: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 10:42 20/11/2002 -0600, pat hayes wrote:

[...]

>Oh, I thought that lang tags simply couldn't be attached to datatyped
>literals other than rdf:XMLLiterals, so this would be a syntax error.
>That's what the graph syntax rules seem to say. Is that wrong??

Well, I don't think its what they do say.  I think its what they should
say, but that is not what the WG agreed.

[...]

>It works but for a different reason. Perhaps I should spell this out more
>in the semantics doc.
>
>Making the denotation be something arbitrary in this case (ie not a
>literal value, but otherwise it could be anything) means that the ONLY
>entailment you can get is what you would get from basic graph
>interpretations, which is replacing the bad literal by a new bnode:

Hmmm, are you saying that it does not entail the emtpy graph.  I think I
wasn't clear; I'm trying to clarify precisely the test case proposed by
jan, non-well-formed-literal-2, in

   http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/datatypes/Manifest.rdf

  The test case is (something like)

   <a> <b> "Arggggggg"^^xsd:integer .

does not entail the empty graph.

I think the MT says it does, but I'm appealing to you for confirmation.

[...]

>5 (??) If all the above and you know from the datatype mavens that some
>properties are true on some datatype values, then you can conclude some
>more triples using those properties. (Jos' idea) ??
>
>Im not sure about the last one: do we want to go there?

Please no.