Re: First bit of datatype test cases (for Jos): manifest support.

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:54:01 -0500
To: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>I've updated
>	2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/skeleton/positiveEntailmentTest.rdf
>(and related support files) to include the following lines:
>    <!-- For datatype entailments, include the next line AND give the
>datatype support required -->
>    <test:entailmentRules
>    <test:datatypeSupport
>rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int" />
>Basically, if an entailment test (positive or negative) requires
>datatype knowledge / general DT closure rules then the entailmentRules
>tag is needed. In addition, the datatypeSupport tag can be repeated to
>list the specific datatypes used in the test.

Not sure what this all means, but please make sure that the test
cases always have an explicit

<whatever> rdf:type rdfs:Datatype  .

antecedent for all the datatypes used.

>PS. The test case document includes this text:
>Negative Entailment Tests
>Should a premise document contain a semantic error with respect to any
>constraints imposed by the entailment rules selected, the entailment is
>treated as not holding; that is, the test will succeed.

Well, er, actually, in this case the entailment DOES hold, strictly
speaking, rather in the way that False implies anything. But OK, you
can *treat* it as not holding.

>So I'm going to use this to include the following test:
>it is NOT the case that
>eg:a eg:foo "fiewh"^^xsd:integer .
>(with knowledge of the xsd:integer datatype).
>I'll come back to the list with the other tests in a bit.

How about

_:x eg:foo "fiewh"^^xsd:integer .
_:x rdf:type xsd:integer .

??Strictly speaking, the MT says that this (trivially) entails
anything, because its always false. Similarly

_:x eg:foo "fiewh"^^xsd:integer .
_:x rdf:type rdfs:Literal .

>jan grant, ILRT, University of Bristol. http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
>Tel +44(0)117 9287088 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 http://ioctl.org/jan/
>It's a sad fact that the word "semantics" seems to have lost all meaning.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam