Re: More semantic comments (XML Schema value spaces)

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 13 Nov 2002 16:09:33 +0000
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

As Pat and I have gone through, there are two separate issues here:

1) Value spaces -- they're sets alright, as you would hope and expect,
and their members are simple things _in the world_ such as numbers,
strings, booleans, URIs.

2) The definition of certain aspects of schema-validity which appear
to appeal to values should actually be understood as appealing to
pairs of values and the type they are a member of.  Thus the REC says
that (double)3 does not compare equal to (float)3, and
(string)my:aname does not compare equal to (anyURI)my:aname.

(2) is _only_ relevant to W3C XML Schema internal processes, and
shouldn't get in the way of RDF using the types and their value
spaces, in my opinion.

ht