Re: More semantic comments (XML Schema value spaces)

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 17:13, pat hayes wrote:
[...]
> >3.4
> >
> >I found the following unintelligible, possibly because I don't have
> >access to the XSD example in your (or mayber Peter's) head.
> >
> >[[Users shoudl take care to distinghuish the value space ...
> >identical when viewed as class members.]]
>
> Yes, it is rather odd. The plain fact is that the XML schema specs
> are logically contradictory when one thinks of a value space as a
> set. Enquires have determined that XMLSchema value spaces are not
> sets,

?!?!?

yes, they are:

"A value space is the set of values for a given datatype."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#value-space

> but something like categories or algebras. The same thing, seen
> as a member of two different value spaces, is considered to be two
> different things.

Inquiries may *suggest* otherwise, but only excerpts from
the text of the spec can *determine* what XML Schema
value spaces are.

I'm interested in what leads you to think they're not
sets.

In particular, I'm interested in seeing anything from
the spec that suggests they're not sets (i.e. is
inconsistent with the text excerpted above) reported as a bug
to www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org .