Re: Lists vs collections. (was: Re: response to Brian's rdfs review)

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 18:29:23 -0500
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

I've seen a couple of comments to the effect that we use "Collection"
because DAML did.  Keep in mind that isn't the whole story.  What DAML
did (and what we thought we were doing) was define a construct that at
the (RDF/XML) syntax level was a "collection", and in particular was
supposed to be a "closed collection".  We subsequently decided (I think)
that it couldn't really accomplish the "closed" part (at least not at
the RDF level), but that we needed to leave it in RDF so that RDF
parsers would at least generate the proper underlying data structure
(the List) for DAML/OWL to use.  The List is just the RDF graph
structure that gets generated to represent the collection.  We didn't
explicitly add "Collection" in order to directly represent lists (if
we'd wanted to directly represent lists, we'd presumably have called it
"List").  At least, that's the story *I* remember.

--Frank