Re: XMLLiteral belongs in RDF namespace, not RDFs

Short response:

I think we're moving toward using rdf:... rather than rdfs:..., and I'm
happy with that.

Longer...

At 02:43 PM 11/9/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>>Oh dear, I haven't being paying attention properly.  Apologies. Something
>>was niggling me about this, but I now think I see what it was:
>>
>>The datatyping extension is both syntactic and semantic.  As a syntactic
>>extension, it naturally belongs with the core language
>
>It needs to use rdfs:Datatype to signal a recognized dtype, that's
>essentially syntactic.

Yup.

>>.  But as a semantic extension, it fits more comfortably (IMO) with the
>>schema material.  Hmmm... I don't know what to suggest as a solution.
>
>Wait.... .solution? What exactly is the problem here?

The "problem" I perceive, partly in response to Dave's comment, is that
datatyping is core language syntax, but that the corresponding semantics of
datatype-entailment don't really sit there.  I don't think there's any
fundamental technical problem, but a challenge of presentation that the
relevant material is presented cleanly (e.g. avoiding dependencies like,
for example, the RDF core specification on RDF schema).

>>  (DanC's approach, which we turned down, starts to look more attractive.)
>>
>>That's not helpful... thinks...  the only thing I can think of that seems
>>reasonably coherent is to bring the datatype URI into the core (rdf:),
>>even if it is "adding a new term that has a meaning".  It would not be
>>the first such term in the core language;  e.g. we already rdf:type,
>>which has some defined semantics in an RDF-interpretation.
>
>I don't follow you here. Did you mean to say in an RDFS-interpretation?
>Because that wouldnt really be accurate.

No, I meant RDF-interpretation.  I was responding to Dave's comment:
[[
Since it is adding a new term that has a meaning (will get some
description in an RDF schema document) rather than something for
building the RDF/XML syntax, I thought our policy was to add stick
them in RDFS namespace.
]]
and suggesting that adding additional semantic rules in the RDF namespace
would not be overturning some established policy.

>>Is there any reason why a datatyped-interpretation has also to be an
>>RDFS-interpretation?
>
>No deep reason. Its tricky to say much without mentioning rdfs:Dataype and
>rdfs:Literal , is all.

Yes... the challenge of presentation?

>I think we discussed having rdf:Datatype and rejected it for some W3C
>procedural reason (??).

I don't know now.

I think we're moving toward having rdf:Datatype rather than rdfs:..., and
I'm happy with that.

(For now, at least.  Having read through the new stuff on datatyping, and
thinking of Aaron's comments about complexity, I do find DanC's approach to
datatyping more appealing (sans the lexical form constraint), by virtue of
avoiding a whole slew of new mechanism.  But, this isn't the time to
question group consensus and I'm not about to rock the boat here.  But I
think it's something we might wish to contemplate if there's community
concern about datatyping in the last call period.)

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>