Problem with how to think about lists

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:15:17 +0000
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I've got a problem with how I'm thinking about lists.  I first came across
it reviewing the primer, but I've got the same problem in schema.

We say that the domain of rdf:first is rdf:List.

My problem is whether the resource at the blunt end of an rdf:first
property denotes (ok we are not doing the semantics but this is just about
how I should think of this) a whole list, or just a link in a chain?  I've
been thinking of it as a link in a chain, and so the term rdf:List is
misleading.  But if it really denotes the whole list then there is nothing
for me to worry about.

Brian