quick comment on typed literals

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 18:36:37 -0600
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

In case anyone was wondering, the reason that the inference

aaa bbb "foo"^^ddd .
-->
aaa bbb _:xxx .
_:xxx rdf:type ddd .

didnt get put into RDFS (but was left until the datatypes were
introduced) is because, contrary to what I first thought, this
inference DOES depend on access to datatype information, in order to
check that 'foo' is a legal lexical form according to the datatype
ddd.  So even though it doesnt depend on the particular value, it
does need external datatype information to be valid.

Just a quick explanation.

Also, after Jos' question I guess I ought to either remove that
comment or else put in a bit more explanation. Sigh.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola               			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501            				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam