Re: literal strings are what, exactly??

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 19:30, pat hayes wrote:

> I need guidance, please. Bare literals denote themselves, OK. BUt
> themselves are what, exactly? ASCII strings? Unicode strings? UTF-8
> character code sequences??

unicode strings.

> If this question has an answer, I'd be grateful for guidance and a
> uriref to a suitable normative reference if there is one, thanks.

quite so...

"Character string: A string viewed as a sequence of characters, each
represented by a code point in Unicode [Unicode]."
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-charmod-20020430/#def-character-string

It's really as simple as that, but if you want to spend
a bit of time to confirm your understanding, I highly
recommend you read "3.2 Digital Encoding of Characters"
thru "3.4 Strings".

> I would like a sub-XML answer, if possible. That is, I would like to
> leave open the question of whether or not these things are XSD
> 'strings', and leave that to XML schema to decide.

yup.