Re: Datatyping literals: question and test cases

>pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> writes:
>
><snip/>
>
>>  >No, but it's a matter of authority. If the "owner" of the datatype
>>  >(the agency that has the authority to define it) says there is no
>>  >ordering for the members of its value space, then it doesn't have
>>  >an ordering.
>>
>>  I can't make sense of this. It sounds to me like saying that because
>>  Im not interested in the colors of the bindings of my books, that
>>  therefore they have no colors. Look, I can take one of these unordered
>>  value spaces and *I* can define an ordering on it. Of course it *has*
>>  an ordering. In fact, if its finite with cardinality N, it has
>>  N-factorial orderings. Authority is fine, but its unwise to claim
>>  authority over Platonic abstractions.
>
>Further to my other postings, _all_ it means in practice for W3C XML
>Schema to say that e.g. the anyURI simple type is unordered is that
>you can't use the max/min facets to constrain subtypes thereof.

Ah, thanks. It would be nice to make that very, very clear in the
spec somewhere,  ("by 'unordered' we mean ....." )

While writing the RDF MT, I found that it was necessary to put in all
kinds of warnings against misunderstandings that arose because people
had read into my words things I hadn't even thought of.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Pat

>Applications are free to define operations which depend on an ordering
>which they also define.
>
>As you say, strings are a good example -- most people agree they're
>ordered, few can agree on what the order actually _is_.
>
>ht
>--
>   Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh
>           W3C Fellow 1999--2002, part-time member of W3C Team
>      2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
>	    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
>  [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is
>forged spam]

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam