Re: Concepts document example

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:39:26 +0000
To: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: jjc@hpl.hp.com, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 06:47 PM 11/4/02 -0500, Frank Manola wrote:
>Graham, Jeremy--
>
>A couple of comments about your example in section 2.4.3.1, paragraph (C),
>of http://schmuk.example.org/
>
>a.  it's usually spelled "schmuck"
>
>b.  I'm aware of the colloquial use, and am not meaning to be overly
>delicate about the contents of W3C normative specifications, but you do
>know that "schmuck" is Yiddish for "penis", right?

Er, no I didn't.  Thanks for spotting this.

My dictionary has:
[[
schmuck // n. esp. US slang
a foolish or contemptible person.
[Yiddish shmok 'penis']
]]

Changed to "skunk" ... I think that carries the idea without possibility of
offense:
[[
skunk // n. & v.
n.
1 a any of various cat-sized flesh-eating mammals of the family Mustelidae,
esp. Mephitis mephitis having a distinctive black and white striped fur and
able to emit a powerful stench from a liquid secreted by its anal glands as
a defence. b its fur.
2 colloq. a thoroughly contemptible person.
v.tr.
1 N.Amer. slang defeat soundly.
2 fail to pay (a bill etc.).
[Algonquian]