Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-10-18]

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:51:55 +0200
To: "ext pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

> Well, but do you have any objection to an entailment of the form
>
> aaa ppp "whatever"^^dtypefoo .
> -->
> aaa ppp _:xxx .
> _:xxx dtypefoo "whatever" .
>
> being valid? Its validity would not encumber you to actually perform
> it, after all. I think the 'operational' sound of the word
> "dismantle" carries some bad implications.

I have never had a problem with the above entailment, but I expect
to see the typed literal node in the graph intact.

The way ^ in N3 works, however, you would never see the typed
literal node in the graph, it would get expanded on parsing into
additional triples. It is this latter "dismantling" and replacement
that I strongly object to.

Patrick