Re: RDF Graph questions

>On Fri, 24 May 2002, Dave Beckett wrote:
>
>>  >>>Jeremy Carroll said:
>>  > Second a few questions.
>>  >
>>  > 1. Are there unattached nodes in an RDF graph?
>>
>>  No; since we base our describe the rdf graph as triples
>>  as node->arc->node rather than any other form.  If this is not the
>>  case then N-Triples in insufficient to connect the model theory and
>>  syntax.
>>
>>  > 2. Can any URI ref be a property name or must there be some associated
>>  > namespace?
>>
>>  Any URI ref.
>
>No, not _any_ URI ref.
>
>Some URI refs don't name properties.

Well, then any assertion made using them as property names will be
false; but still, its not meaningless, so I think we should allow it.
There might be some reason for someone to treat a phone number as a
property; its not totally crazy. In general, I don't think we are in
a position to say that something definitely does not name a property.

Pat

>Arguably, all the phone: ones, all the mailto: ones, and a huge % of all
>the http:// URIrefs too.
>
>But I think I agree with (what I take to be) your general point. There are
>many URIrefs that we can take as naming URIrefs which aren't (for various
>reasons) going to have an RDF/XML document derferencable.
>
>However, the fact that they name RDF properties means that they can be
>used in RDF/XML instance data using the XML namespace mechanism, so in
>that sense they are associated with a namespace. Or they are a namespace.
>Or they can be written about using XML namespaces.
>
>    This is pretty clear from M&S and we've mentioned this
>>  a few times in passing with respect to the issues related to
>>  writing them as qnames.
>>
>>  (XML) Namespaces are artifacts of the RDF/XML serialization and are
>>  not in the current model.
>

>Dan
>

>--
>mailto:danbri@w3.org
>http://www.w3.org/People/DanBri/

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes