Re: Dublin Core, the Primer and the Model Theory

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:42:39 +0100
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
At 10:26 AM 5/16/02 -0400, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>On 2002-05-16 7:09, "ext Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com> wrote:
>
> > At 10:32 AM 5/16/02 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> >> I believe that the sheer quantity of these examples in the
> >> primer indicates that this a substantial issue: that RDF, as
> >> deployed, particularly in Dublin Core, does not conform with
> >> the model theoretic changes agreed on the 22nd of February [2].
> >
> > With emphasis on "sheer quantity", I think this is a compelling argument,
> > which is not limited to Dublin Core.  (Though I do think that "does not
> > conform" is a slight overstatement, I do think this indicates a real
> problem.)
> >
> > Similar issues arise in at least two other RDF vocabularies that I can
> think
> > of
> > - CC/PP device capabilities and user preferences:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/CCPP-struct-vocab/
> > - Photo labelling schema: http://www.w3.org/TR/photo-rdf/ (in particular,
> > section 5.2)
>
>Would you say that simpledatatypes2 accurately describes the
>present semantics employed by CC/PP?

It's difficult to say what "accurately describes" semantics as fuzzy as
those of CC/PP.

I would say that simpledatatypes2 more closely reflects what I understand
to be the intended interpretation of terms in a CC/PP expression.

Further, I think that simpledatatypes2 allows us to not rewrite the CC/PP
schema;  the current proposal will require some changes to be made.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>