Re: user-defined datatype (facet) support needed?

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 02:19, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> On 2002-04-30 21:02, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > XML Schema has not only the 9 or so
> > primitive types, but also bunch of facets
> > for user-defined types ala "integers
> > between 5 and 10".
> >
> > I don't think any of the recent datatyping
> > proposals allows me to express that datatype.
> >
> > Is that a problem[ftf]?
> >
> > I suggest, tentatively, that it is.
> >
> > [crud; I was gonna write a bit more, but
> > I've got another meeting. I think I better
> > send this now, though, before I put it
> > off for another three weeks...]
> >
> > [ftf] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20020225-f2f/#d-2002-02-26-3
>
> I don't see any problem here, since the semantics of the datatype
> are fully opaque to RDF -- in the same manner that URI Scheme
> semantics and syntax are opaque to RDF.
>
> You are free to define a datatype in XML Schema using any of the
> facets available,

Yes, I'm free to do all sorts of stuff.

I suppose I misspoke: it's not that the recent
datatypes proposals prevent me from doing this;
it's just that they don't support me in doing
it either.

They don't provide for interoperability among
people who want to do this.

Let me rephrase: is it a problem that there's
no specific support, including examples,
for using XML Schema datatype facets?
e.g. "integers between 5 and 10"
or "strings that match '\d\d\d-\d\d\d\d'".