Re: motivation for bNodes/existentials in RDF; note for parsers

On 2002-03-23 4:58, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> Dave, I wonder if the syntax spec should
> say something about "in the past, RDF
> parsers have parsed anonymous nodes
> by generating arbitrary URIs; don't do that;
> make sure the parser client can tell the
> URI references from the anonymous nodes".

Would it be useful to have a standardized means of generating
URIs for anonymous nodes such that

a) applications can tell a node is anonymous
b) graph merges do not result in collisions

E.g., define a URI scheme that is analogous to uuid: but
call it e.g. anon:

   anon:4ba893b9-3fc7-11d6-9765-0003931df47c

Only anonymous nodes would be labled with anon: URIs (if
someone uses an anon: URI to denote something other than
an anonymous node, they get what they deserve).

Graphs with such anonymous node URIs can be merged with
wanton abandon as they will not collide, since they are
based on UUIDs.

Eh?