RE: IRIs as node labels (proposals and counterproposals)

It does seem reasonable to suggest that anyURI in XML Schema datatypes is
the current "standard web identifier".

This points to

http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/#link-locators

which basically is the position I would like us to endorse (+ binary
compare).

[[[
The value [..snip..] must be a URI reference as defined in [IETF RFC 2396],
or must result in a URI reference after the escaping procedure described
below is applied. The procedure is applied when passing the URI reference to
a URI resolver.

Some characters are disallowed in URI references, even if they are allowed
in XML; the disallowed characters include all non-ASCII characters, plus the
excluded characters listed in Section 2.4 of [IETF RFC 2396], except for the
number sign (#) and percent sign (%) and the square bracket characters
re-allowed in [IETF RFC 2732]. Disallowed characters must be escaped as
follows:

+ Each disallowed character is converted to UTF-8 [IETF RFC 2279] as one or
more bytes.

+ Any bytes corresponding to a disallowed character are escaped with the URI
escaping mechanism (that is, converted to %HH, where HH is the hexadecimal
notation of the byte value).

+ The original character is replaced by the resulting character sequence.

Because it is impractical for any application to check that a value is a URI
reference, this specification follows the lead of [IETF RFC 2396] in this
matter and imposes no such conformance testing requirement on XLink
applications.

If the URI reference is relative, its absolute version must be computed by
the method of [XML Base] before use.
]]]

Sorry Dan I am not going to reply to your counter-counter proposal - it
seems surprisingly out of scope!

Jeremy