Re: Unasserted triples, Contexts and things that go bump in the night.

Well *I* certainly viewed it as jokey, especially given the context (if
you'll pardon the expression).  But I certainly second Brian's comment
about the respect in which we hold each other.  At the same time, I also
have to say that some of our "parliaments" have a somewhat rowdier
history than the one you're referring to.  For example:

"On May 22, 1856, the "world's greatest deliberative body" became a
combat zone. In one of the Senate's most dramatic and deeply ominous
moments, a House member entered the chamber and beat a senator into
unconsciousness."  [This was after the senator had characterized another
as "noise some, squat, and nameless animal ..."]
http://www.senate.gov/learning/min_3c.html

"On February 22, 1902, John McLaurin, South Carolina's junior senator
raced into the Senate chamber and pronounced that state's senior
senator, Ben Tillman , guilty of "a willful, malicious, and deliberate
lie." Standing nearby, Tillman spun around and punched McLaurin squarely
in the jaw."
http://www.senate.gov/learning/min_4f.html

Then there's the April, 1850 incident:
"Two weeks later, [Vice-President Millard] Fillmore's worst fears were
realized. When he ruled Missouri Senator Thomas Hart Benton out of
order, Kentucky's Henry Clay , no friend of Benton, angrily charged that
the vice president's action was an attack on the power and dignity of
the Senate. The ensuing debate sparked a bitter exchange between Benton
and Mississippi Senator Henry Foote . As the burly Benton pushed aside
his chair and moved menacingly up the center aisle toward the diminutive
Foote, Foote pulled a pistol."
http://www.senate.gov/learning/min_2ii.html

--Frank