Re: A very short list of residual datatyping issues (just one ;-)

At 09:04 AM 3/13/02 +0200, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>So, when used with rdfs:drange, the URI denotes the complete
>datatype but when used with rdfs:range and rdfs:domain,
>the URI denotes only the value space of the datatype?
>
>So, the URI denotes different things in different contexts?

No, the denotation of the URI doesn't change with context.

What does change is the part of the denotation that is used.

If a URI is a property and a class, then its denotation includes (is
associated with) a relational extension and a class extension.  When the
URI is used as a property, the relational extension is used to determine
the truth of the containing statement.  When the URI is used as the object
of an rdf:type property, the class extension is used.  The RDF semantics
provides this much completely separately from the issue of datatyping.

So, when a datatype URI is used with range, one part of its denotation (the
class extension) is accessed.  When used with drange, another part (related
to the definition of L2V) is used.

Conclusion:  I don't see any difficulty here.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>