RE: xml:lang [was Re: Outstanding Issues ]

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:41:35 -0000
To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

I am copying this to i18n-ig.

Pat Hayes:

> But are they? We have considered German versus English decimals and
> US versus UK date formats within the datatyping discussion. Seems to
> me that datatyping and language tagging are going to be seen as
> closely related in such cases. In the context of xsd:decimal, does
> "10,03"-fi equal "10.03"-en ?

I discussed this briefly with Misha and Martin (of the I18N-WG) at the
plenary.

I asked why they didn't require XML Schema to support language tagging of
numbers (as in Pat's example).

Their take was that this is an input software localization problem, rather
than a document format internationalization problem.

i.e. software running in a german locale should display and accept 10,03 as
a number a little more than ten. However, when communicating that number
with other software (even in the same locale, and even in a markup document
that may have human readers) it should use the US form of the number.

It surprised me.

But in my book the I18N people get to decide this.
Looks like this example is out of scope.

Jeremy