Outline of the RDFCore documents

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:16:32 +0100
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I thought it might be helpful to sketch out the goals and audience for each
of the RDFCore documents to provide some context for discussion of the new
document.

This is a strawman; I haven't discussed this with the various editors.

Primer
======

Goals:

   o provide introductory material for newbies
   o Explain how to use RDF(S)

Primary Audience: everyone

RDF/XML Syntax
==============

Goals:

   o A specification of the RDF/XML language
   o A specification of the meaning of RDF/XML in terms of a translation to the
     graph syntax, as represented in n-triples.

Primary Audience:

   o Parser writers
   o developers of applications that write RDF/XML
   o users who write RDF/XML by hand

RDF Data Model
==============

Goals:

   o A specification of the RDF graph syntax and graph equality
   o A specification statements are assertions

Primary Audience:

   o tool developers
   o RDF application developers
   o RDF writers
   o Vocabulary developers

RDF Schema
==========

Goals:

   o A specification of RDF Schema vocabulary
   o A specification of miscellaneous bits of the RDF vocabulary from M&S

Audience:
   o tool developers
   o RDF application developers
   o RDF writers
   o Vocabulary developers

RDF Semantics
=============

   o A formal specification of the semantics of the RDF and RDFS languages

Primary Audience:
   o designers of formal languages based on RDF

RDF Datatypes
=============

Goals:

   o A specification of how to represent typed data values in RDF

Primary Audience:
   o tool developers
   o application developers
   o vocabulary developers
   o rdf writers

RDF Test Cases

Goals:
   o to capture examples illustrating decisions of the WG

Primary Audience:
   o tool developers