Re: Outline for new RDF document

>At 10:12 AM 6/25/02 -0500, pat hayes wrote:
>>I do not think that any part of the final spec should express as
>>normative any aspect of RDF meaning which is not reflected in the
>>model theory. To do so makes the model theory worthless.
>
>Leaving aside the issue of what is "normative", do you feel it is
>inappropriate to make statements about the *intended* meaning of RDF
>vocabulary that cannot be expressed by purely logical means?

Well, maybe we have to do this, but I sure would like it to be kept
to a minimum. Its OK to have some stuff along the lines Tim wants
talking about the social meaning, but lets keep anything to do with
what might be called mechanical meaning (eg what a bag is) either in
the MT or not anywhere. Im quite willing to tweak the MT to fit
anything that makes sense, but I really think that we shouldn't put
out a spec that says on the one hand that the MT is the semantics,
but also that parts of the language have a different meaning that is
only described in M&S-style prose.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes