Syntax: id symbol expansion

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:17:10 +0100
To: "RDF Core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

I have implemented the new Syntax in ARP.
I had a few issues, mainly with the test cases.
One substantive issue with the text is as follows:

In M&S rule [6.21] we have:

 [6.21] IDsymbol       ::= (any legal XML name symbol)

where the hyperlink on XML name is to

In the new WD we have:

An attribute ·string-value· matching any legal [XML] token Nmtoken

Looking at it I think neither is correct and suggest that instead it
would be better to match against:

the namespaces NCName construct.

I will describe the differences:

Any non-empty sequence of NameChar characters

XML name

Any NT-NMtoken that does not start with:
   Digit | '.' | '-' | CombiningChar | Extender

Any XML name that does not contain ':'.

If we allow an rdf:ID that matches more than NCName then it cannot be
used in a qname e.g.

<rdf:Property rdf:ID="300x" />

names the property with a name that cannot be used in an XML

Allowing rdf:ID's that start in CombiningChar and Extender is likely to
be at odds with our general position vis-a-vis charmod. (I have not
checked that in detail).

Both M&S and the current WD permit

<a:foo rdf:ID="ex:ex"/>

which looks distinctly dubious to me. Possible confusion as to whether
or not the ID is a qname etc.