Re: the idea of a 'reserved' vocabulary

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:06:06 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>At 08:15 AM 6/14/02 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>Second, would somebody please show how this helps with layering?
>>i.e. show how it relates to the example in...
>># Layering OWL on RDF: the case for unasserted triples
>>Jonathan Borden (Thu, May 30 2002)
>The example in the referenced document uses additional statements:
>   owl:List rdf:type rdf:Unasserted .
>   owl:first rdf:type rdf:Unasserted .
>   owl:rest rdf:type rdf:Unasserted .
>   owl:nil rdf:type rdf:Unasserted .
>but Guha has explained that that approach is non-monotonic.
>The revised proposal simply defines triples using certain URIs to be
>unasserted, regardless of any other triples that may appear in the
>graph, so there's no question that adding a new triple makes a truth
>out of a falsehood.
>Referring to my suggestion, the properties used above as owl:List,
>owl:first, owl:rest, owl:nil would be given URIs of the form:
>   http://www.w3.org/2002/06-rdf-unasserted#List
>   http://www.w3.org/2002/06-rdf-unasserted#first
>   http://www.w3.org/2002/06-rdf-unasserted#rest
>   http://www.w3.org/2002/06-rdf-unasserted#nil
>Actually, I don't think List and nil need to be given this
>unasserted treatment.

I  now agree. I think we should only require that *properties* are
unasserted. This has a beneficial side-effect in any case regarding
back-compatibility, since then it anything rdf-entailed by an
unasserted triple is also unasserted; so that an RDF engine that
ignores unassertion won't cause any 'harm' to one that pays attention
to it.

IHMC					(850)322 0319   cell
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax