Re: new semantics initiative

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:41:48 -0500
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>>>  Speaking personally, me too.  But that does seem to require a syntax
>>>  extension, which may be difficult at this stage.
>>  I really do NOT want to introduce a syntax extension, which
>>  introduces all kinds of extra complexity.
>I thought the MT already provided for such a distiction.

I meant, complexity in the syntax documents, Ntriples and so on. This
whole discussion is trivial form a purely MT point of view.

>  > We have agreed that
>>  contexts are out of scope.
>I never proposed contexts.
>>  What is wrong with URI inspection?
>Because you *CANNOT* know for sure what namespace URI was used
>to generate some term URI by inspecting the term URI. That information
>is iretrievably discarded during parsing.
>Get over it folks. It can't be done. Let's please move on and
>consider other, actually possible mechanisms. OK?

Look, we must be in a disconnect here. Are you saying that when some
software reads some RDF, that it cannot possibly tell that

is the symbol 'type' on the normative W3C website? You sure seem to
be saying that. I bow to your expertise, but it seems to me that if
this is true, then we are in much deeper doo-doo than anything to do
with dark triples.

>Rather, the graph syntax should have an explicit mechanism
>that 'colors' triples as asserted or unasserted,

No, it MUST NOT have such a mechanism. Any such mechanism in the
graph is inherently non-monotonic. This whole idea is a dead horse.

IHMC					(850)322 0319   cell
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax