Re: Summary and some analysis: New Semantics Initiative

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 11:26:13 -0500
To: "R.V.Guha" <guha@guha.com>
Cc: rdf core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 10:37, R.V.Guha wrote:
> As for not using the rule of the excluded middle, etc. --- This is a
> much bigger issue than axiomatic approaches vs model theoretic
> approaches. The current model theories, from webont & rdf, do assume
> the law of the excluded middle.

WebOnt does, yes. But RDF's model theory doesn't have negation
at all... but... hmm... I suppose it does say that every
triple (and every graph) is either true or false in
every interpretation. Hmmm... I wish you hadn't pointed
that out; I wasn't worried about it before now. ;-)

> If we leave that out, we will be quite
> far outside the scope of classical logics. I have no idea where to
> even begin broaching such questions in the W3C process.

I don't see how W3C process is relevant. This seems like
a technical issue; either I can convince folks of my
technical position or I cannot.

The odds seem pretty low, as you say,
and since it's not directly
relevant for RDF 1.0, I doubt I'll even try.