Re: new semantics initiative

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:07:06 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>At 09:52 AM 6/12/02 +0100, Jan Grant wrote:
>
>>Agreed; I'd rather see some syntactic mechanism for darkening (or more
>>generally, colouring*) triples that doesn't rely on URI inspection. In
>>particular, URI inspection doesn't need to be written into the MT
>>documents - it should just appeal to darkness (or otherwise) that's
>>determined through a mechanism external to the document.
>
>Speaking personally, me too.  But that does seem to require a syntax
>extension, which may be difficult at this stage.

I really do NOT want to introduce a syntax extension, which
introduces all kinds of extra complexity. We have agreed that
contexts are out of scope.

What is wrong with URI inspection? One can inspect opaque URIs. RDF
engines are going to have to be able to at least match one uriref
with another to see if they are the same, and that is all that is
required: if a URI is in a certain (externally defined) list of
reserved URIs, then the triple isn't asserted. That's all.

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes