Comments on new semantics initiative documents

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:05:13 +0100
To: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

I've quickly read through the Lbase spec and scanned the RDF(S)
semantics.  My immediate thoughts are:

(a) Lbase performs a comparable role for RDF(S) semantics that N-triples
does for its syntax.

(b) The RDF(S) semantics specified by translation to Lbase seems easier to
follow and understand than the current model theoretic document.  This is,
I think, because the explanatory structures used are more familiar to one
who has some exposure to mathematics -- does this mean it's also easier to
misunderstand?

And so to some more specific comments on the Lbase specification:

Section 2.3:

- is the set ID intended to contain any values other than integers and
character strings?

- the rules of interpretation don't specify the interpretation of
names.  (Now I think names are not valid formulae, so maybe that's OK, but
then again neither are strings and numerals valid formulae.  I think a
complete set of rules needs to contain all of these.)

- I think the syntax allows an expression to contain free variables, but I
don't see any corresponding semantics.

- are the given interpretations for 'forall' and 'exists' the wrong way round?

Section 2.4:

- in the description of axiom schemata, it is not clear how one is expected
to distinguish "schematic variables" from non-substitutable values.

Section 3.1:

- just below diagram, a typo: "avove".

#g

Graham Klyne