Re: new semantics initiative

From: R.V.Guha <guha@guha.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:07:11 -0700
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
CC: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Dan,

 I would like to answer the "why now" question.

 The reason is *very* simple: we have a problem. RDF is intended to be
the foundation for languages of the semantic web, and yet, it has been
found that even a comparatively simple thing like OWL can't be built on
this foundation. Wait till you try to layer thing like DAML-S on top of
 RDF.

  Heck, we don't even know what it means to layer ... At this point, all
it means is that OWL or someone else does their own model theory and all
that layering means is that it is not inconsistent with the RDF model
theory. Fine bit of good that does a machine trying to combine
expressions in different languages.

guha