Re: Syntax: id symbol expansion

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 17:19:27 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

>>>Jeremy Carroll said:
>

> I have implemented the new Syntax in ARP.
> I had a few issues, mainly with the test cases.
> One substantive issue with the text is as follows:

Ooh, deja vu ;)

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20010906/#rdf-id

Jeremy proposes:

> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#NT-NCName
>
> the namespaces NCName construct.

and I support this.

NT-NCName is a term in the Namespaces in XML Recommendation (1999)
but make sense to use since it is what W3C XML Schema data types uses
for (XML) ID aka xsd:ID

  3.3.8 ID

  [[ID represents the ID attribute type from [XML 1.0 (Second
    Edition)]. The value space of ID is the set of all strings that
    match the NCName production in [Namespaces in XML]. The lexical
    space of ID is the set of all strings that match the NCName
    production in [Namespaces in XML]. The base type of ID is NCName.
  ]] -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#ID

so if we want to ever write an W3C XML Schema for RDF/XML, it would
be good if these were compatible.

The 'name' term in N-Triples
  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-testcases/#name
was very early on related to this issue but is now defined entirely
in that document and we don't need to change it.

Dave