Re: Datatyping: questions about TDL proposal

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:20:57 +0200
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Excellent summary, Jeremy.

On 2002-01-31 16:06, "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> - choose only S-A and deprecate all other idioms.
> This is the theoretically most appealling route in my view.

Theoretically, perhaps, but not practically.

This is not acceptable, unfortunately, as that does not
provide us with any means for global typing and precludes
the use of schema implied typing. It also prevents any
means of asserting system typing on locally typed
knowledge, which needs both local and global types
asserted.

S-A alone cannot provide a complete solution. It would
be great if it could, but it can't. We need both local
and global typing.

> + TDL offers more datatyping support than S-B.
>   Applications still need to determine whether
>   to look at typed values or the literal strings.

Is this a bad thing? I thought this was a strength ;-)

Cheers,

Patrick