Re: Datatyping differences

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:48:49 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-01-28 16:31, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> Tcl has one datatype: strings.
> Perl has one (relevant) datatype: scalars.
>
> I suggest that RDF can do likewise. (see S, idiom B,
> for details).

The TCL/PL approach strikes me as having no datatyping
in RDF -- but leaving all datatype interpretation to
the application level.

Fine. That's certainly an option. To leave RDF as it
is, with no datatyping -- beyond saying that literals
are Unicode strings -- and let applications and other
standards address it; but I fear that that will have
a significant impact on the utility of RDF for broad
global interchange of knowledge.

Cheers,

Patrick