Re: Proposals? Re: use/mention and reification

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:52:26 +0000 (GMT)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
cc: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 24 Jan 2002, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 04:10, Jan Grant wrote:

> > Proposal #2: (Danbri or danc to fill in the blanks..?)
> >
> > 	Looks like proposal #1 but f is defined differently.
>
> yeah... f(X) is quote(X)
>
> > 	f(X) = X	if X is a literal
>
> umm... I'm not sure how to quote literals.
>
> > 	f(X) = ?	if X is a URI-labelled resource
>
> I was thinking
>   f(<http...>) = "http:..."
>
> but I didn't consider quoting literals and blank nodes.
> Blech.
>
> > 	f(X) = ?	if X is a blank node
>
> I dunno.
>
> This macro-expansion form of quoting is messier than I thought.
> Maybe TimBL's right... maybe parseType="??:quote" is the
> only mechanism that meets my requirements.
>
> > 	jang: might object if f isn't injective (or "one-to-one")
>
> as well you should.

Bloody hell, we're agreeing! I should add, if literal DT support ends up
including snazzy functors so that I can have literals like this:
	<a> <b> quote("http://foo/") .
	<a> <b> quote(<http://foo/>) .
then (modulo having no way to handle anon resources like this) I'd be
happier than hacking quoting out of string manipulations.

jan

Goth isn't dead, it's just lying very still and sucking its cheeks in.