Re: TDL Model Theory

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:32:57 +0200
To: ext Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-01-24 0:05, "ext Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com> wrote:

> Also, how does the change to rdf:type work for data types that don't have a
> defined lexical form?  E.g. consider the format used by RDFWeb for
> describing people:
>
>  _:gk rdf:type  foaf:Person .
>  _:gk foaf:name "Graham Klyne" .
>  _:gk foaf:mbox <mailto:GK@ninebynine.org> .
>  (etc...)
>
> There is no defined lexical form that universally denotes me, the
> person.  So what is the denotation of the thing labelled _:gk ?

This is my take on this:

The value of rdf:type is a datatype, not a lexical space or
value space.

If the datatype is a lexical datatype, then one would expect
that the lexical form denoting the value would be part of
the expression.

If the datatype is not a lexical datatype, but rather
a structural datatype, then it has no lexical space
and its absence in the expression is to be expected.

rdf:type is neutral to whether the datatype is lexical or not.

Patrick