Re: use/mention and reification

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:08:53 +0000
To: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, RDFCore Working Group <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
At 03:54 PM 1/22/02 +0000, Jan Grant wrote:
> > So I'm claiming that more often the 'meaning not symbols' (de re) approach
> > to rdf reification results in unacceptable information loss
>
>I think it's clear now that it doesn't. Meaning comes from the
>application of an interpretation function, which is where "clark kent"
>and "superman" collide. Quoting URIs makes no difference here.

I'm still thinking about this (in background mode without a vast amount of
progress).

I think everything you say holds up if you can discuss this in terms of
intended interpretations.  But what happens to entailments, which are
defined in terms of all possible interpretations?

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
        __
       /\ \
      /  \ \