Re: literal value terminology (was: Re: Review of MT)

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:10:08 +0000 (GMT)
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
cc: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Graham Klyne wrote:

> I acknowledge that it may be clumsy, but I'd rather stick with "literal
> values".  I'm quite happy with "literal token".  I fear that whatever we
> define, the bare term "literal" will be sometimes misinterpreted.
>
> [Later]
>
> Alternatively, Pat's counter-proposal works for me.

It's ironic, isn't it, because I'm sure we all recognise that it doesn't
matter what you call them , as long as you have a clear definition of
what the term you're using means. I share Graham's worries about general
misinterpretation though.

You see what happens when you have fun with a stranger in the Alps?