Re: review MT draft

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:59:56 -0600
To: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>>>2/ my main comment is w.r.t. the need for unasserted triples
>>>i.e. one could assert e.g. rrr ppp ooo.
>>>suppose rrr is a resource which is a set of triples
>>>then those triples in rrr are *not* necesarily asserted
>>>OK, this is when ppp is something like log:implies
>>>or something else where we need dereferencing rrr
>>>(or rrr could be identified by value such as in N3)
>>>anyhow that rrr can be a set of unasserted RDF triples
>>This point seems to go beyond RDF as it is currently constituted, so
>>unless we plan to open up this issue of resources being sets of
>>triples, I propose to ignore this issue for now.
>fair enough (for the current state of the art of RDF MT)
>but I think that "resources being sets of triples" are evident

Well, of course a resource can be anything, so I guess it can be a
set; but saying that is one thing, and expecting to be able to get
inside the set and access its contents is something else. That is a
whole other issue that involves in effect adding a set theory to RDF.
It might be a simple set theory, but its still a big step from here
we are now.

>(also in the light of tagging them or so, so this is
>in a way related to the "(drop) reification" issue
>and after all to the use/mention stuff)

Yes, I agree it is related.

>  >Mind you, that might be a good issue to open up, if folk feel that it
>>doesn't go beyond our charter. (?)
>I mind :-)

OK, let me try to write up some ideas which arise from recent webOnt
emailings together with this and maybe that will get things started.
Some time next week.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax